Know the Power of Nuts and Dry Fruits !
Updated: Jun 9, 2020
Well, It’s a known fact that dry fruits and nuts are calorie dense, contains essential fats and are packed with loads of other nutrients and fiber.
NUTS: Nuts include almonds, pecan, walnuts, hazelnut, pistachio, Brazil nut, cashew nut.
So let’s glance through the benefits of including nuts in your daily diet. It contains:
High quality protein (contributing 25% of energy).
Fiber (100g gives 4-11g fiber that helps in constipation).
Minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium (protect against bone demineralization and arterial hypertension, insulin resistance and overall cardiac risk in future).
Antioxidants like Vitamin E- Tocopherol (Keeps the skin supple and healthy).Bioactive compounds like phytosterol and phenolic compounds.
Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids-essential fatty acids that are heart healthy.
Vitamins like folic acid, niacin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B1, B2
Consuming walnuts and Almonds have shown that:
- For every two walnut halves consumed, the liver will lower LDL cholesterol by one per cent.
- Walnuts can help develop over 3 dozen neurotransmitters in brain.
- Omega - 3 balance in the body is known to improve insulin sensitivity in diabetes. .
- Above all boost immune system
Dry fruits and nuts are used in desserts, baked goods, milkshakes and spreads like butter or paste or eaten whole. We know that dates; raisins, prunes, apricot, figs, pineapple, peaches, berries, etc. are the commonly used dry fruits. Dry fruits are loaded with:
- soluble and insoluble fiber
- minerals like potassium and iron
These may be healthy alternative to sweets, if you have a sweet craving. No doubt, they are on-the-go snack while you're on travel and for boosting energy levels keeping your weight in check, immune system enhancers, reverse memory loss and also keep the bowl movement in check.
Ideas to incorporate the nuts and dry fruits in their daily diet?
1. Nuts and dry fruits ladoos without sugar - Maybe you can add dessicated coconut to make it more tasteful and flavorful.
2. Mix-Nuts powder- Add to milk, dough and batters.
3. Chopped nuts in sweets and desserts add great taste
4. Almond smoothie is a great beverage for children who are thin and can be part of their regular diet along with a fruit combo.
Go ahead to include a stash of unsalted, unsweetened and unprocessed dry fruits and nuts every day to satiate your sweet tooth craving!